Updating Linksys Router Firmware

Bob Gir. bobgir at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 19:33:29 PDT 2004

    I got a used Linksys BEFSR41 Router, v.3; firmware version 1.04.8 from a
friend.

    On VersionTracker, at...

    ...I just found this:

===============
Product Description:
  Select Linksys BEFSR41 v3 Version:  1.05.00

What's new in this version:

    €      Fixed multicast issue broadcast on all ports
    €      Fixed DHCP vulnerability
    €      Fixed inappropriate ARP response from the router
    €      Fixed fragmented data arriving to destination in the  wrong
            order. This affected IPSec VPN users
    €      Modified web user interface for ease of use

Editor's Notes:
 Use your browser to upload the 'code.bin' file from your Linksys setup
page: http://192.168.1.1/Upgrade.htm
 If that doesn't work for you then you can use MacTFTP to install the
firmware update. For step-by-step installation instructions using MacTFTP,
read here:
http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/tftpinst.html#linksys

    The Linksys of course isn't a Mac product, they don't offer Mac support,
and it isn't terribly intuitive what I need to do here nor how to do it.

    Anyone out there using a similar Linksys router care to offer guidance
on how to go about upgrading the firmware.

    As always, many thanks,
    bob