[P1] Battery performance with age

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 14 16:11:00 PDT 2004

> How long your battery lasts is going to depend largely on how you use your
> machine. Most people tend to notice a small loss of battery life after a
> year and then notice faster degradation from there on. I generally replace
> my battery around the 18 month point.

The usage really hasn't changed, which is why the drop in life was especially noticable -- no good excuse except that I've been using OS 9.  Interesting to hear an "18 month benchmark".  The iBook did pretty much sit for a number of months, and I wonder what that could've done to it.

> OS X battery management is getting better but it is lags far behind OS 9.
> Shortly after Jaguar was released, I took two tangerine iBooks with new
> batteries home and tested them over a long weekend. Basically, with OS 9 I
> could get about 4.5 hours on a full charge - with OS X I got just short of 3
> and recently with Panther I eked out about 3.5

That's good to hear.  Anybody else have OS 9 times/impressions?  That's a pretty stark difference between the OSes.

Thanks for the input,

Ruffin Bailey