iBook rises from the Dead!

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Thu Jun 24 23:14:48 PDT 2004

I'm not especially religious, but my old G3 iBook (600, 12") has
apparently risen, if only temporarily, from at least a near-death
experience.

I purchased that iBook around October, 2002. The iBook suddenly refused
to boot sometime in January, 2004. The Apple Store couldn't fix it or
save my data but they kept it for a week ("We're STILL analyzing it")
and charged me $50.

When I got home, I fired up the iBook one last time. This time, instead
of the flashing question mark, there was a start-up message asking for
a reboot! So the Apple guys had done >something< to my iBook. It
couldn't be dead. In a coma, maybe. In hibernation. But if the Apple
Store could wring that small amount of change out of the iBook, maybe I
could take it further.

Reboot attempts failed about 30 times, although I saw at least two
different and unhappy start-up screens. Then I hooked up the external
drive again. On attempt #60: BINGO. (How come the Apple Store couldn't
do over the course of a week?) I copied most of the data from the iBook
to my external drive before the computer died again. I tried rebooting
several more times. Nothing. I switched to a System 9 reboot. Bingo,
again! I copied most of what was left to copy. Then the iBook died
again, this time seemingly for good.

Short as it's life I was, I retired the iBook and purchased a new
computer. The old iBook sat around my home office and once in a while I
tried to start it. I still believed there was a spark of life deep
inside that drive. Then the computer gathered some serious dust sitting
on top of a cardboard box on the floor in the garage. On occasion I
dragged the computer back into the house, dusted it off and tried to
boot it up, sometimes with the external drive. No luck.

A few days ago I brought the computer out again. Like General Franco, I
quickly ascertained that it was still dead. But I left it sitting on my
desk, so after another round of failed attempts attempts to start it
again today, I pulled out the Hardware Test CD tonight.
Hmmm...everything passed the test: memory, storage, etc. Odd. So, just
to "think different" I pulled out the old Software Reinstall CDs. I
thought a software reinstall might somehow breathe life into the
computer. And damn if that little 'Book wasn't up and running under
System 9 within minutes! No way!

I restarted the computer a few times just to make sure, figuring the
hard drive was still dead, that somehow the computer was running off of
internal memory. The computer rebooted everytime. I  ran some programs,
thinking they'd kill off the computer for sure. Nope. Then I plugged in
an ethernet cable and made what I knew would be a futile attempt to
browse the Web. But it connected immediately. No way!!!

Yes, System 9 was blazing, but I'm now a confirmed OS Xoholic. So I
pulled out my G4 OS X installation CDs. The G3 computer had no problem
running the disks. Back on the Web, I downloaded the 10.3.4 upgrade. No
problem.

So, 18 months later, reports of my iBook's demise turned out to be
premature. But what happened to put it into its coma in the first
place, and how did the software reinstall CD it wake-up? And is another
coma in the works?

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.