Book rises from the dead

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Sat Jun 26 09:49:14 PDT 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, Joe wrote:

> When you mean "Software install CD," do you mean the Mac OS 9 install
> CD?  If you re-installed the system software from the CD, there might
> have been some kind of corruption in those "bootstrap" files that you
> never see but are oh-so-important in getting your Mac to launch.  A
> re-install would have taken care of fixing that problem.
>
> By the way, did you ever try copying your old hard drive by attaching
> it to another FireWire Mac and starting the iBook up in Target Disk
> Mode?

I meant the CD that reinstalls software, which let me boot into System
9. Of course I couldn't leave enough alone and I tried installing
10.3.4, and the drive failed again. But unlike the past many months, I
could boot it up via the external hard drive. Dragging System 9 in to
iBook from the external drive (after several failed attempts) finally
worked and I'm leaving well enough alone - it's s System 9 computer,
for now.

I hadn't connected via the Target Disk Mode (although I did connect my
Mac Plus and my LC a long time ago). I just tried it, now that I have
two firewire computers - wow, that was easy!

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.