[P1] Verizon DSL with Linksys Wireless Router

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Wed Mar 3 13:38:59 PST 2004

On Feb 28, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Harry D.Corsover wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2004, at 9:44 AM, Thomas D. Kearns wrote:
>
>>  The Linksys Wireless Router does not support Macintosh."
>
> As far as I know, this statement is absolutely false. The router
> cannot "know" what kind of computer it is connected to. Perhaps a more
> accurate statement might be "We at Verizon Online know nothing about
> Macintosh, so we won't support users with Macintosh computers. You're
> on you're own."

Correct.  It will work fine.  I suggest something other than a
Linksys, since I have had bad experiences now with at least two
of them, and their "support" didn't.  My SMC replacement box
was bad, but there was no trouble getting it replaced and an
SMC techie emailed me about my problem ON THE WEEKEND.  By the
way, I recommend this because what they really mean is what Harry
said--"we aren't helping you set it up."  So you'll get the
same level of free support even if you buy something else.

By the way, if you look around you should be able to find
an 802.11b access point with a firewall built in for on the
order of $40.  What did they want for the Linksys?

	Mike Beede