Panther & AirPort & Router problem

Seeker bobgir at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 07:50:04 PST 2004

    If anyone on the list is using a Linksys wired router, I have a Linksys
BEFSR41 Router, please read on...

    I had the following setup working just fine...until I messed around with
it and now it's cacked.

    DSL modem connected to above Linksys router by ethernet cable; router in
turn connected to desktop G3 via one port and AirPort Graphite Base station
via another.  Running latest version of Panther and have updated AirPort.

    Found out that Earthlink renews my lease every two or three days and I
had to manually reset the Router to regain internet access.  No big deal,
but inelegant. (Isn't Mac computing supposed to be elegant??)

    Thought there must be a better way.  Read the manual, found the IP
address Earthlink currently assigned to my machine, connected to my Router
settings via Safari, changed Internet Connection Type from PPPoE to
Automatic typed in my then-current IP address and hit Save Settings.

    Instant disaster.  No connection to the internet and, worst of all, I
can no longer connect to the Router settings via Safari.  Safari simply
times out.

    A N Y clues, guidance, assistance most humbly & gratefully accepted.

    And I promise I am learning to leave well enough alone.

    Thank you,
    bob