[P1] Panther & AirPort & Router problem

B G briang113 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 08:07:09 PST 2004

I think you will have to do a hard reset,

There is a reset button on it. Shut off the power then
press and hold the button while turning the power back
on and continue to hold for 5 sec's that will reset it
to factory defaults. accees it thru browser use the ip
192.168.1.1 no login name, password will be admin

As to the other problem you might try upgrading the
firmware. This is where the no Mac support comes into
play. The firmware upgrade are all PC based. There
where some Mac hacks that are not supported by
Linksys, I don't know if there is an OS X version.

If you do upgrade the firmware it might be easiest to
borrow a PC laptop and use that. Thats what I did.

Hope this helps

Brian

--- Seeker <bobgir at earthlink.net> wrote:
>     If anyone on the list is using a Linksys wired
> router, I have a Linksys
> BEFSR41 Router, please read on...
>
>     I had the following setup working just
> fine...until I messed around with
> it and now it's cacked.
>
>     DSL modem connected to above Linksys router by
> ethernet cable; router in
> turn connected to desktop G3 via one port and
> AirPort Graphite Base station
> via another.  Running latest version of Panther and
> have updated AirPort.
>
>     Found out that Earthlink renews my lease every
> two or three days and I
> had to manually reset the Router to regain internet
> access.  No big deal,
> but inelegant. (Isn't Mac computing supposed to be
> elegant??)
>
>     Thought there must be a better way.  Read the
> manual, found the IP
> address Earthlink currently assigned to my machine,
> connected to my Router
> settings via Safari, changed Internet Connection
> Type from PPPoE to
> Automatic typed in my then-current IP address and
> hit Save Settings.
>
>     Instant disaster.  No connection to the internet
> and, worst of all, I
> can no longer connect to the Router settings via
> Safari.  Safari simply
> times out.
>
>     A N Y clues, guidance, assistance most humbly &
> gratefully accepted.
>
>     And I promise I am learning to leave well enough
> alone.
>
>     Thank you,
>     bob

=====