[P1] iBook Dilemma

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Wed Mar 17 06:52:03 PST 2004

Before I would consider upgrading the Tangerine iBook, I would look
hard at how much it would cost.  A quick look on eBay shows clamshell
iBook keyboards for about $50, but it would need to be installed (more
$$ if you don't do it yourself).  The RAM would cost about $125 (for
512 MB), and a new hard drive might cost in the neighborhood of $150,
depending upon size (and again, do you need to pay someone to install
it?).  That's about $325 + labor for the hardware, and another $129 for
Panther.  All of a sudden, you're getting close to five hundred
dollars!

I have a 14 inch G4 iBook with a Combo Drive and Airport Extreme, and I
think the machine is great.  I would highly recommend it.  However, I
realize that the difference between $500 for upgrades and $1200-1300
for a new computer is pretty substantial.  You might want to shop
around for used or refurbished G3 model iBooks instead.  If the
Tangerine iBook has been getting the job done satisfactorily for you,
then upgrading to, say, a 500, 600, or 700 MHz G3 model might be more
than sufficient.   Such machines could probably be had for somewhere in
between $600-$800, which is a lot closer to the cost of upgrading your
Tangerine.

There was a recent thread on this list comparing the merits of a recent
G3 model and the new G4 models, the general consensus was the G4 is
noticeably faster for most things, but again, if you've been happy with
the Tangerine you might not need the top of the line and could save
some cash that way.

Anyway, just some thoughts for you to consider.
- Mike W.