[P1] external monitor with closed lid on ibook G3

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Thu May 6 16:14:51 PDT 2004

The standard configuration of the ibook only allows an external screen
to mirror the LCD. This limits the displayed resolution to 1024x768.
The hack allows an external monitor to be driven to much higher
resolutions. {though, the external monitor will place limitations on
this, of course!!}

Probably your best bet is to use the hack (assuming you think it's
safe, and are comfortable with the associated risks), and then use the
ibook with the lid open and the LCD off, relying on your external
monitor for visuals. Remember that ibooks only have vga (not DVI)
output, so you should consider this when choosing an external monitor.
I haven't applied the hack myself, and so can't comment on its
stability, reliability or safety - or the effect it will have on your
warranty.

Cheers,
-Angus

On 07/05/2004, at 1:10 AM, Rebecca J.Hoffman wrote:

> If you're going to leave the top up anyway, why not just dim down the
> LCD display on your iBook with the F1 button? Why would you need a
> special program to do it?
>
> Just wondering.
> Rebecca
>
> On May 6, 2004, at 8:33 AM, Christoph Pistor wrote:
>
>> So if I wanted to run it via an external monitor for extended
>> periods, I could use that hack to get the LCD screen switched off. If
>> I still leave the book open that should be ok I guess. Do you know
>> the source of the hack. Would this be available for System 9 and 10?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Christoph

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u