[P1] Suremail Permission Based System responses

David Harris dmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 04:22:11 PDT 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 4:24 AM, walter wrote:

> Same thing happening to me.

It has happened to me but not recently.

> I emailed Eric about this, but still got no reply.
>
> I have to say I find it extremely worrying that sur.co.uk are able to
> OPEN my email message to the list.

Good point,  My limited experience in this matter would be to remove
any E-mail addresses.  If you have another E-mail address, use it
exclusively for E-mail outside the list.

> It sounds to me, although I am no expert, that if that is the case,
> they must have some sort of access to the list.

True enough that anyone can sign up to the list.  The best thing might
be to have the entire iBook list go inactive for a while, then return,
if this is the case.

> It's not just that they pinch my address, they also get the text
> inside the message.

Definitely, a violation of your civil rights, mine and those on the
list that are uninterested in the service..

> I guess they are probably subscribed to the list under false pretences.

Maybe.

> The message from them reaches my computer a second or two after I have
> sent my message. It's weird in the extreme, and I think I will leave
> the list, unless there is clarification coming from Eric about this
> matter.

Thee may be nothing that we can do about it, but, if the entire list
speaks out as a group, it might make a difference  the the iBook list
administrator.

> I have no doubt Suremail is a spam-involved business harvesting mail
> addresses.

I share your concerns.