[P1] iBook hard drive replacement

Reid Conti reid at conti.net
Tue May 18 13:51:02 PDT 2004

Tom,

Thanks for the help.  I have a bunch of storage space, so I just backup
my files using rsync on a regular basis.

I know IBM had a higher-than-normal failure rate with their Deskstar
line, which I think was traced to heat problems in some kind of
insulator they used.  I was under the impression that the travelstar
line was subject to this as well, but am not sure.

Interestingly, I read an article a few months ago that claimed that
this new material was in use by ALL HD manufacturers as of '99 because
of environmental concerns, and made it sound like all manufacturers are
having higher-than-expected failures rates as these drives age...

- reid