[P1] Using a CD on the desktop

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue May 18 23:15:15 PDT 2004

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of this, but what I do know is that
this can potentially be a can-of-worms.

Some software makers use the cd as a form of copy protection, the idea
being that the user must have the cd to be able to use the software.
When coupled with copy protection on the cd, this makes piracy quite
difficult. Of course, the it is restrictive to the user who has
actually paid for the software also...

Often this involves low level checks for the presence of the CD in the
drive along with manufacturing-specific idiosyncrasies (read:
deliberately introduced errors) on the cd to 'ensure' authenticity. cd
burners typically find it difficult to replicate these errors.

Not all software incorporates this, and this may not be the case with
the software you're trying to run.

If it is the case, however, then your best bet is probably to try to
patch the software. These are generally produced by reverse engineering
the software, and disabling the low-level hardware check that
authenticates to the CD. My understanding is that these work with
varying success.

I'm not sure on the legality of applying these sort of patches,
especially in the USA where copyright laws are particularly draconian.

Hope this helps,
-Angus

On 19/05/2004, at 3:31 PM, J.C. Webber III wrote:

> Brian Pearce wrote:
>>> I would like to take some proprietary CD's that normally require me
>>> install user software and then have the cd in the drive, to copy them
>>> on the hard drive and have them run directly from my iBook without
>>> having the cd in the drive. Does anyone know how that could be done?
>>
>> I think the best way to do this would be to create a Disk Image of the
>> CD (using Disk Utility), and mount the CD from that image, instead.
>> (The only caveat is that you'd need enough free space to recreate the
>> CD.)
>
> I don't get it.  I've tried this (once) and couldn't get it to work.
> I created a disk image and them I mounted it.  Then I tried running
> the application.  It still complained about the missing CD.
>
> So, the question is, exactly how do you 'mount the CD from that image'
> so that it looks like the CD is mounted from the CDROM drive?
>
> --
> J.C. Webber III
> Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator
> jcw at kingoblio.com       www.kingoblio.com
> Please, if you use Windows, do not add my address to your Address Book.
> I do not wish to be spammed or have my email address hijacked by a
> virus
> and used for fraudulent purposes.  Thank you.
> If you use a Mac, never mind.  Mac's don't get viruses.

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>   --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                 |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>    RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler
>   CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> $879!

Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u