[P1] iBook Repair, Again, and Again and Again!

albookuser at Phreaker.net albookuser at Phreaker.net
Sat May 29 06:05:12 PDT 2004

On 5/29/04 12:20 AM, "David Harris" <dmichaelharris at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On May 28, 2004, at 1:46 PM, geno at barbaloot.com wrote:
>
>> Mine is at apple right now for the 3rd time. Logic board first time.
>> Then Kernel
>> panics the second time. 3rd time no apps will open, but iTunes will.
>> But when
>> importing a CD in iTunes it crashes. It is also a 900MHz Combo 12".
>> And from
>> the day I got it has run slower then my old tangerine clamshell iBook.
>> It's
>> driving me CRAZY!
>>
> Hi:
>
> My iBook 900 Mhz combo drive has been to Apple Support once.
> Everything checked out.  I am running 10.3.4 now and have not had any
> problems since updating to Panther.  Even then, I still use my
> refurbished iBook 700 Mhz cd rom.
>
> The best thing that I can say about the G3 iBook is that it is more
> affordable than the G4.  Powerbook G4s also have a latch problem that,
> if I remember correctly affect the laptop's ability to sleep and
> shorten the life of the battery.  It doesn't have the speed.  It
> doesn't burn DVDs.   And the G3 iBook is a sensitive piece of
> equipment.  I have found that handling the iBook needs a lot of TLC.

To correct a few inaccuracies about the PowerBook G4: When the 15 inch
alBook was released this fall there were a small number of people who had
problems with the latch. Of the ones we sold that had this problem, our
techs were able to fix them all there in the shop in a few seconds. Many of
us discovered that our LCD developed white spots and we learned that this
model was extremely sensitive about the kind of RAM used to upgrade it.

Except for the LCD problem, Apple dealt with these issues pretty quickly and
Apple eventually discovered what was causing the LCD problem as well. In
short, we early buyers experienced the usual pains of being the first kid on
the block with the newest toy. These bugs have all been worked out and at
the shop where I work I'm not aware of any lingering problems involving the
latch or LCD.

And to characterize the G3 iBook as sensitive either ignores or reveals
ignorance about the state of consumer notebooks in the PC world. Grab a
consumer Compaq or Dell notebook and use it for a week - then you'll know
what a sensitive piece of equipment it. Every notebook should be treated
with care, but I've found the iBook to be among the most sturdy of
notebooks.

david