[iBook] Does anyone have an iBook that smells?

JFL jfl1970 at mac.com
Mon Nov 8 20:20:03 PST 2004

The odor IS coming from the keyboard. My brother's poor iBook G3 14"
600MHz was bought used and suffers from the smell.
Something about the plastics or adhesives used in certain iBook
keyboards "break down" after being heat activated -- and these compounds
smell funky!
It's been discussed on the Apple support discussion pages, but as the
keyboard works just as fine as it did when new, it was probably never
considered something to recall. Happens.
Fortunately my 12" iBook G3 700MHz avoided this -- it's a produces
strong odor when it gets hotter, but it smells electronic and not
funky.
-J