[iBook] Does anyone have an iBook that smells?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 8 23:45:27 PST 2004

>> I'm not quite familiar with what cummin smells like, but I did notice my
>> iBook began to smell about a year ago (I think its about 2 years old now).
>> It does come from the keyboard area. The closest thing I came up with is a
>> "warm electrical" smell, not quite burning electrical, but on its way. I'm
>> not sure if its from being hot sometimes, yes, ibooks do tend to get very
>> hot sometimes, or what its from. I've left it go, but this sparked my
>> curiosity.

Yes, I had the same problem. After checking the Apple forums, and contacting
AppleCare, I _forced_ Apple to replace the keyboard. It turns out that there
is a sticker on the back of the keyboard whose glue reacts to heat over time
and starts to smell.

I had to send it back to Apple 3 times to get them to do this, and it
finally got bumped up to a high-level support person, but they changed the
keyboard and admitted that it did smell a bit funky...

Kirk

            Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France