[iBook] Re: Audio input on Graphite 366/SE

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Tue Nov 9 17:32:44 PST 2004

>My daughter was happily using a Clamshell 366 at college,  upgraded
>with 20G HD and 512 M RAM,  OS 10.3,  until she tried an audio chat
>with iChat.  No internal mike and no audio in port.  I was initially
>stumped, until I remembered I had this USB dongle buried in the bottom
>of a drawer.  I think it was made by Griffin. It looks to be switchable
>between mike in and speaker out.  It seems like a possible solution.
>Has anyone had success with this and the Clamshells?

I have a 466MHz Clamshell iBook and the Griffin iMic USB dongle you speak of.  It will let you use a mic with the iBook, but I'm pretty sure you need at least a 600MHz G3 to use iChat AV (i.e. audio or video Chat).  If I'm wrong, I'd sure like to know.  I know someone who would be ecstatic to know they could use iChat AV for audio chat on a 500MHz G3 iMac.
Dave.