[iBook] iPod Questions (OT)

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:42:31 PST 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 7:02 PM, TDK wrote:

> Hi All,
> Not an 'iBook' question but I have a Blueberry clamshell (Rev.B) and
> would love to use an iPod with it so.....
> What (if any) experience has anyone had using a 'Windows' iPod
> formatted to Mac and using it with a 1.1 USB port? Apple doesn't
> recommend it, but seems like it would work, just slow.
> Also, any experience hooking it up to their car stereo?

No experience with a Windows iPod on a Mac, but have played my iPod
many hours through my car stereo. Note that I said "played through" as
opposed to "hooking it up" as in your questions. I presently use the
Griffin iTrip, but have also used the Belkin thingie. I like the iTrip
because it gets its power from the iPod and doesn't need batteries. I
used the Belkin device (can't remember its name) before I got the iTrip
and it went through AAA batteries like crazy. I have another thing that
plugs into the car accessory outlet (cigarette lighter) and plugs into
the dock port on the iPod to power it while driving. I have looked at
the Griffin RoadTrip online, but haven't seen it in stores yet. It's,
essentially, a power dock and FM transmitter combined. The thing that
makes it attractive is that it is hardware controlled to change the FM
frequency. The iTrip is software controlled, which is almost impossible
(and very unsafe) to change while driving--and is impossible to change
without jumping out of the playlist, changing the frequency, and then
going back to where you left off. When traveling a long distance, I
like to put together a very long playlist, put it on shuffle, and let
it go. If I have to change frequencies, there's no way to get back to
where you  left off. The RoadTrip (or so I understand), has
push-buttons to move up and down the frequencies. Of course, the best
way to hook up your iPod to your vehicle is to buy a new BMW.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)