[iBook] iPod Questions (OT)

Reid Conti rconti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:59:15 PST 2004

I feel the same way about the iTrip -- it really needs buttons.  But I
used it with my 1G that gets 8+ hours of battery life, and it made it
6 hours before I got to my destination, and the battery never died!
So I feel that the iTrip is very easy on batteries.  Some of the
all-in-one solutions really suck, a friend has one, and the FM
transmitter on it is worthless.. it's an older one, but just saying..
don't assume it's the best.

I actually kinda prefer the tape adapter for cars, it's just easy.

Probably the best way to go is an FM modulator, that would give you an
AUX IN jack to plug your ipod into, but the other end goes between
your car's antenna and the deck.. so it feeds it right into the deck
thru the antenna hookup, like some CD changers.  Ask a car stereo
shop, this should be relatively cheap.

New BMW is not the way to go, sorry to say.  As much as I love BMW and
Apple, the product just sucks.  You need to create special playlists
(BMW1-BMW5), can't see track names, just numbers.. poorly engineered,
which is a shock since I think BMW makes the best cars and Apple makes
the best computer hardware and MP3 players.

Check into Alpine decks, they have a method to hook up the iPod that
gives you a display of track names and playlists and all that RIGHT ON
YOUR DECK!  Better than the BMW setup by a long shot, IMO.  But you
need a compatable Alpine deck, plus the special hookup thingy.

- reid