[iBook] Got my first Mac today...

Barnard Madsen bmadsen at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 19:27:09 PST 2004

I have a 500 mhz Dual USB iBook running OS 10.2.8, and my wife has a
PowerBook "Lombard" (?) running 9.2.2 (I'm trying to convert her...).
We use a Belkin 4-port wireless 811.2b router (my iBook has an Airport
Card, and we got her a Belkin USB wireless adapter).  The router was
about $50 with rebate (from CompUSA), and the USB adapter was around
$20 with rebate (again, from CompUSA).  They both work great.  We hook
up 2 desktops (a 333 mhz iMac, and a PowerComputing clone) to the
router with Ethernet, and the laptops are (of course) wireless.  We're
on Comcast broadband, and if we ever have a connection issue, we just
need to unplug the router and plug it in again.  I've also learned the
delights of file sharing.  Enable file sharing on each computer, then,
in Finder, click on "GO" menu, and scroll down to "Connect to Server."
  You can select the computer, and share files.  You can also print
wirelessly (choose "Server Printers" from "Print" menu).  I love lying
in bed, listening to the iTunes collection on the big external hard
disk hooked up to my iMac downstairs, cruising the Net, reading and
responding to email, and sending files to the printer downstairs.

Barney

All Macs since '84