[iBook] Kernel Panic with Firewire Drive

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Thu Nov 25 11:45:33 PST 2004

I have an iBook 600, (Dec 2001) now with Mac OS X 10.3.6. I use a
Maxtor 300G Firewire Drive now and then. Pretty much every time I plug
it in I get a kernel panic and need to restart. It did not do this back
with 10.3.5. Someone aware of the issues here? Should I plug in the
drive, then turn it on? Turn it on then plug it in? What exactly is the
protocol? I thought with hot pluggable items, it really made no
difference. Just "trash" or eject the mounted drive before unplugging.
What am I doing wrong?