[iBook] Kernel Panic with Firewire Drive

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Thu Nov 25 12:14:42 PST 2004

> I have an iBook 600, (Dec 2001) now with Mac OS X 10.3.6. I use a
> Maxtor 300G Firewire Drive now and then. Pretty much every time I plug
> it in I get a kernel panic and need to restart. It did not do this
> back with 10.3.5. Someone aware of the issues here? Should I plug in
> the drive, then turn it on? Turn it on then plug it in?

Sorry, I have no idea how my reply disappeared from that message...

What I meant to say was that I also have a Maxtor drive (used for
regular backups) that's caused the same problem for my iMac, through
several iterations of OS X; I finally discovered that if I power up the
drive *after* it's been connected, I have no problems. What's
interesting, though, is that it *never* causes this problem with my Key
Lime iBook.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>