[iBook] Re: Eyestrain

William Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Sat Oct 2 18:25:59 PDT 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 1:33 PM,
ibook-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> Have you tried the zoom option in the Universal Access control panel
> (OSX)? It might help you with your eyestrain. I forget it's there,
> mostly. But when I remember, I find it helps.
>
> Charles (charlesp at ksu.edu)

All I know is that a few seconds at the higher rez and my eyes start
burning.   The very first time it happened was about 10 years ago.   I
tried out a demo copy of SoftWindows.

Fortunately that demo only ran 30 minutes before quitting.   I didn't
understand why I had a headache.   It was the higher resolution or the
screen flicker, or something I don't yet understand.

And then I bought the OS X beta and had to immediately force it down to
640x480.    Every time I tried the beta it would start in 800x600 !

I have to use a PC occasionally at work.   I fiddled with it for quite
a while and found that changing the layouts to look more 'maclike'
helped somehow.   After a lot of experimenting using the PC doesn't
bother my eyes that much.

"The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators
and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this
country."

  -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt