[ibook] iBook 500 successful HD upgrade

Tom Legare Tom.Legare at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 21:09:12 PST 2005

I just finished a project that took a LOT longer than expected... about
3 1/2 hours. I'm giving myself a pat on the back right now.

My original 20GB hard drive in my iBook 500 was almost full.  With the
EXTREMELY helpful web pages at
<http://www.sterpin.net/uk/ddibookdualuk.htm>
http://www.sterpin.net/uk/ddibookdualuk.htm and
<http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/>
http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/ I managed to get a new 60GB
installed.

I cannot believe how much you have to take apart on an iBook to get at
the hard drive.  I truly believe that Apple could design these things a
little more modular.

And I only have 2 extra screws when the project was finished :-o

My original 20GB hard drive is an IBM Travelstar 4200RPM.  The new hard
drive is a Samsung MP0603H 5400RPM 2.5" 9mm.

I think this 20GB drive will find a home in a free Windows laptop I'm
restoring for my kids that only has a 6GB drive.  At least the drive on
that laptop pulls out from the outside after removing only one
screw.........

Definitely not a job for the fainthearted.

Tom