[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Malcolm Cornelius malcolm at fireflyuk.net
Fri Aug 19 04:10:27 PDT 2005

> Screen went very dark, so he rebooted it with the 3
> finger salute only to have it boot up to a black screen
> with nothing visible, then for him to believe that this
> malady is the BSOD.

Never heard of it.

The iBook has a reset button just behind the power on switch.

> I've attempted to zap the PRAM, reseat the RAM, and
> did remove the new Batt. and am trying to get it to
> boot using only the Power Adapter, and can boot from
> System install CD's(various OSs) , but there is only
> a quick flicker of the backlight(I think) at the very
> beginning of any boot try, but after that all is dark
> on the screen, therefore cannot attempt an OF reset.
> I can hear RAM check Gong and either the HD or CD
> drive.
> Is this screen problem a user fixable?

Is there any image at all on the screen after boot ?

Personally I'd strip the machine and check with another ibook screen that
the logic board is outputting video correctly - I've seen bad logic boards
which work fine but have no video.

And if that is ok, take the screen to bits checking all the cables etc.

Needless to say if you don't have access to another Clam this is a little
difficult.

> Also, I would very much like to know if there is a
> simple way to connect the iBook to my TV or even
> a 17" monitor to mirror the iBook's DT?

Er, no video out until the Firewire models.

--
Best wishes

Malcolm Cornelius - The Powerbook Fanatic
http://www.pbfanatic.co.uk