[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Fri Aug 19 17:48:32 PDT 2005

Malcolm, Listas All
Hi! there Malcolm, so, we run across each other again, I'm
happy to hear from you once again...

Malcolm Cornelius wrote:
> > Screen went very dark, so he rebooted it with the 3
> > finger salute only to have it boot up to a black screen
> > with nothing visible, then for him to believe that this
> > malady is the BSOD.
>
> Never heard of it.
The bud of mine who gave me the iBook said that it was
either the Black(or possibly the Blue) Screen of Death
and he wanted no more to do with the iBook so gave it
to me to try fixing.
> The iBook has a reset button just behind the power on switch.
I'be found a small hole, and am guessing it is for inserting
a unbent paperclip into, but I've no idea as to how far in
or how long to keep a pin inserted, nor what this reset
button(?hole) does, would you kindly explain the procedure,
and any things that I should expect?
snip
> Needless to say if you don't have access to another Clam this is a little
> difficult.
Nope, no other to compare to available. And it seems that
there is no iBook Mod.# marking that is visable, other
than the see thru #6411 on the Battery cover.
> > Also, I would very much like to know if there is a
> > simple way to connect the iBook to my TV or even
> > a 17" monitor to mirror the iBook's DT?
> Er, no video out until the Firewire models.
I've since, checked with the www.everymac pages and found
that the model in hand is either a SE or an 366Mhz( or
hopefully a 466) SE, and I asked my son to confirm the colors
(duh, I'm colorblind) and it's the SlateGray/White combo or
as stated elsewhere as the Graphite two colored(?), so am still
unsure as to which Mod.(366 or 466) it actually is(my bud never
cared to check), but in fact there is a single Firewire port in
front of the single USB port and behind what appears to be a
port of some type of singlepole female connector with a "screen/
display" symbol above it.
If this is indeed a video out port, what type of connector/cord
would be required to connect either another monitor or my TV
to it?? , to check if'n it's the backlight before going inside to
look for other problems. I am still hoping for the best outcome
and being able to revive this lil' cutie.
Thanx for the input, and any/all suggestions, advice, help
will be appreciated and bery much welcomed. TIA

I'm on Digest, so do please CC to me also.

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom
"Rust never sleeps."-N. Young