[iBook] iBook1.2GHz & the beach ball

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Fri Aug 19 08:24:09 PDT 2005

Safari is pretty well-documented as a memory hog, and if you've had it
running for quite a while, it may be using a couple of hundred megabytes
of RAM by itself!  Here's a short, recent message board thread about the
topic:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/718009094731

The next time you feel your iBook acting sluggish, I would quit Safari
(and maybe Mail, too) and then re-launch it, and see if that makes a
difference.

I would only upgrade to Tiger if its new features (Spotlight, Dashboard,
Automator, new Mail interface, etc) are attractive to you, not because
it might use less RAM and/or be more responsive.  Honestly, I don't know
if either of those claims are true or not.

Hope this helps,
Mike W.