[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Fri Aug 19 22:29:24 PDT 2005

Brian, Listas All
G'day to All, and many Thanx for the positive helping input...

Brian Pearce wrote:
> You could connect the cable to a
> TV or VCR (or perhaps even another monitor, if it had RCA jacks).
> As to where you'd find one these days, that's difficult to say.
So am guessing that it is a proprietary cable, and that's what
I shall start hunting for, wish me luck.
> I think you insert the paper clip and keep the button pressed for
> five seconds or so, and this (I think) resets the PRAM, which may or
> may not help. (Removing the battery should do the same on the iBook.)
I've got the Batt. pulled, as with the screen black and no way to
Shutdown, I pulled the mains, but could still hear the drive
going, so guessed that she went into Batt. using mode.
Should I simply press down on the paper clip(just now, I tried
and felt a springy resistance) , or do I need to also push and
hold the Power button down at the same time?
> If you have access to another Firewire-equipped Mac, you might try
> restarting the iBook and holding down the "T" key to start it in
> Firewire Disk Mode, and mount it as a Firewire disk on the other Mac.
> If you can do this, I think you can be reasonably sure that the logic
> board is okay, and it's probably just the screen that needs to be
> replaced.
Wish I had one, but the friend who gave me this iBook has his
new one, so will try to hook up with him on his next trip down
from the mountains to try it out, might take awhile tho. Does
this seem to be a problem with the screen, or just the backlight?
And with it in FWDM will TechTool Pro version 2, 3 or 4 be
able to run it's video circuitry tests on the problem'd iBook.

Meanwhile, are there any other lil'  things that I can try?
Any/All ideas, advice, help, suggestions, will be much
appreciated and very welcomed. TIA

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom