[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Malcolm Cornelius malcolm at fireflyuk.net
Sat Aug 20 07:59:06 PDT 2005

>> You could connect the cable to a
>> TV or VCR (or perhaps even another monitor, if it had RCA jacks).
>> As to where you'd find one these days, that's difficult to say.
> So am guessing that it is a proprietary cable, and that's what
> I shall start hunting for, wish me luck.

Shows a pic of the cable.

>> I think you insert the paper clip and keep the button pressed for
>> five seconds or so, and this (I think) resets the PRAM, which may or
>> may not help. (Removing the battery should do the same on the iBook.)
> I've got the Batt. pulled, as with the screen black and no way to
> Shutdown, I pulled the mains, but could still hear the drive
> going, so guessed that she went into Batt. using mode.
> Should I simply press down on the paper clip(just now, I tried
> and felt a springy resistance) , or do I need to also push and
> hold the Power button down at the same time?

Just press down thru that small hole and you reset the logic board switch
and it stops dead.

> Does
> this seem to be a problem with the screen, or just the backlight?
> And with it in FWDM will TechTool Pro version 2, 3 or 4 be
> able to run it's video circuitry tests on the problem'd iBook.

If it was backlight you would be able to see a feint image when you look at
the screen with some light shining on it.

I have seen a number of clamshell iBooks where the logic board has failed
and no longer outputs video.

But you should really try to prove this by trying with a known good screen.

--
Best wishes

Malcolm Cornelius - The Powerbook Fanatic
http://www.pbfanatic.co.uk