[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Sat Aug 20 15:46:13 PDT 2005

Brian, Listas All
G'day to you All

Brian Pearce wrote:
> > Meanwhile, are there any other lil'  things that I can try?
>
> Do you hear the startup chime? (Make sure the volume isn't on mute.)
> Do you feel the drive start spinning? Anything to indicate the
> computer is active, just not the screen?
Yes, after I reseated the RAM chip and button'd'er up, minus
the Batt. and Airport card the startup chime/gong is clearly
heard, I can also hear the HD spinning up and then churning,
and I also believe that with a System install disk inside and
holding the c-key that I can hear the CD drive too.
But alas the screen is always dark, 'cept for that very quick
brief on-screen flash at the very beginning of any/all bootup
trys.

But, when I tried a normal set of Open Firmware resets, and
got to either the reset-all or mac-boot I could not discern
if'n there was a restart, or not. Altho I'm still unsure as to
whether OF is truely implemented in the iBook's ROM(as I
read somewhere as somewhat meager/small, and possibly
meant as dumbed down(?)) , and really I don't yet know even
if OF is user useable, is it?, or are the iBook's OF commands
unique to it and yet unknown, or the same as most of all of
the other ol' PowerMac's/Powerbook's?? I'm still hoping for
a lil' more clarity on my understanding of this lil' cutie,
as well as hoping that there is someway to get'er working.
Many Thanx for jumping on board here.

Any ideas to try, advise, help, suggestions are welcomed
and very much appreciated. TIA

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom