[iBook] Second Hand Mac woes

Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail izabella.misiewiczsantos at neostrada.pl
Fri Jan 14 15:40:07 PST 2005

On Jan 15, 2005, at 12:21 AM, Andy McMullin wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> When I wanted to replace the drive in my iBook, I found that a slot
> loader
> wouldn't seem to fit. Instead I acquired a Toshiba SD-R2002 DVD/CD
> drive
> which is a "slide-out" DVD-player and CD-player/writer. It just dropped
> straight in to the hole in the casework; but it did require minor
> modification to the plastic door to fit properly. Once (physically)
> fitted
> the iBook just loved it with no software or other changes required --
> running OSX.

Were you able to have the original CD ROM door fitted on the new drive?
The Toshiba drive sound great, I wonder if this is what Apple actually
uses.

> motherboard so a 512MByte card made it up to the maximum of 640Mbytes.
> Just
> put "iBook" into the memory selection page of any reasonable preferred
> supplier and let them sort things out for you.
>
> Finally, I can recommend sticking with OSX (although I've turned off
> the
> password requirement on my one). Once you've got the hang of it, it
> seems so
> much better than OS9 -- but that comment is bound to start arguments.

I love OSX, use it all the time on my eMac, I can't remember when I
last used MacOS9.

My problem is that the iBook boots to OSX now as this is what I chose
in the startup disk control panel in 9. But OSX presented with a login
window and I would like to now start back from 9, otherwise with the
CDROM not working and no password for OSX, I won't be able to do
anything with it.