[iBook] Second Hand Mac woes

Andy McMullin Andy.McMullin at mac.com
Fri Jan 14 15:21:25 PST 2005

Hi There,

When I wanted to replace the drive in my iBook, I found that a slot loader
wouldn't seem to fit. Instead I acquired a Toshiba SD-R2002 DVD/CD drive
which is a "slide-out" DVD-player and CD-player/writer. It just dropped
straight in to the hole in the casework; but it did require minor
modification to the plastic door to fit properly. Once (physically) fitted
the iBook just loved it with no software or other changes required --
running OSX.

In terms of RAM, mine is a G3 600 MHz iBook so it took "bog standard" memory
from one of the normal suppliers. Mine came with 128Mbytes on the
motherboard so a 512MByte card made it up to the maximum of 640Mbytes. Just
put "iBook" into the memory selection page of any reasonable preferred
supplier and let them sort things out for you.

Finally, I can recommend sticking with OSX (although I've turned off the
password requirement on my one). Once you've got the hang of it, it seems so
much better than OS9 -- but that comment is bound to start arguments.

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy, G8TQH
http://www.rickham.net/