[iBook] Airport Problem

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Jun 1 20:24:11 PDT 2005

> It's about three years old I think.   Do these cards just quit ?

I had mine for a good five years, used in two iBooks -- and as far as
I know, it's still going strong. I suppose it's possible, though.

> I'll open the keyboard and take it out, check the connection, put
> it back and try again.  I just wanted to ask if anybody knows of an
> OS 9 utility to test the card.

I've never heard of one -- but I'd think it would be obvious if the
card stopped working. (You might try Apple System Profiler and see if
it comes up there.) Is it possible there's a problem with the built-
in antenna, rather than the card?

> I know these original cards aren't being made anymore and a
> replacement will probably be expensive.   Is the card in a Graphite
> ABS the same make?

No -- the card in the Base Station is a regular issue PC card,
antenna and all (something you could use in any computer with a PC
card slot), and won't fit inside the iBook. I seem to recall reading
that Sony makes an almost-identical card for the VAIO, though, which
might be worth looking into.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>
"Yesterday's Books for Today's Reader"