[iBook] Airport Problem

Ondra Soukup ondras at di.cz
Thu Jun 2 05:27:48 PDT 2005

On 2.6.2005, at 4:52, William Carr wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My Sweet and Wonderful Mother just asked me why her Blueberry iBook
> (OS 9.1) won't connect to the internet.
>
> So, I did some checking.   And finally came to the realization that
> the Airport card quit working spontaneously.
>

> It's about three years old I think.   Do these cards just quit ?

No, it shouldn't just quit. Maybe there is a problem with antenna.Try
to put it as close as possible to the base station...

> I'll open the keyboard and take it out, check the connection, put
> it back and try again.  I just wanted to ask if anybody knows of an
> OS 9 utility to test the card.

Never seriously used OS 9 for real work. I skipped it :)

> I know these original cards aren't being made anymore and a
> replacement will probably be expensive.   Is the card in a Graphite
> ABS the same make?

No it is the Lucent/WaveLAN/Orinoco/etc.. Silver card...
In fact the Airport card is WaveLAN with antenna part  cut off...so
with some work, you can modify original WaveLAN card to fit into
airport slot...not funny work, as I screwed up one of mine cards :/
The replacement costs about $60...