[iBook] Apple remote desktop

Jean-Paul Thuot fearsome.orange at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:06:20 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have recently had a fantastic experience with Windows.  Wait!  don't

I am in Taiwan.  My sister on the west coast of Canada was having an
issue with her WinXP computer.  Using Windows' Remote Assistance
thingy I was able to take control of her computer, download the
drivers she needed and get her up and running with very little hassle.

I see that Mac also has a remote desktop thingy, and I can start it in
SysPrefs.  However, how do I go about say, administering my wife's
computer in the other room?  It looks to me like I must buy the
software in order to do this, am I correct in this? (I am new to Macs,
if you can't tell)

I have logged into her computer via terminal, but that just isn't as
fun as a Remote Desktop tool.

Can someone give me more pointers on this?  If I have to pay for this,
then I guess I'm out of luck and will have to heave my butt out of my
chair and walk into my wife's office whenever she calls out "it's not
working!"

Thanks in advance,

Jean-Paul