[iBook] Screen problem

Philip Kizer pckizer at nostrum.com
Fri Mar 18 07:36:23 PST 2005

Charles Pearce <charlesp at ksu.edu> wrote:
>> My g3 ibook's screen goes dark then light when I move the screen,
>> doesn't do it all the time.
>
>Sounds like backlight problems. It could be the backlight itself
>(expensive!) or the cable (relatively inexpensive). Hope it's the
>cable.

It could be that, or it could be something else entirely...I had the same
symptoms happpen and from the descriptions of various problems with mine, it
didn't seem to be the cable since sqeezing the front-left wrist area would
seem to completely solve the dimming (as long as it was being held).

I sent it in for repair, but unfortunately I forgot to remove my extra
memory and they took it apart, removed the memory, put it back together and
sent it back saying the memory was bad.  Needless to say that seemed "odd"
for causing such a problem, I tested the memory and it showed clean, so I
put it back in and never had another dimming problem.  In hindsight, when I
sqeezed the front quarter panel I could feel a distinct give...

My theory?  I think something was just loose and them taking it apart and
putting it back together tightened everything back to where it needed to
be, solving the problem.

Maybe yours is as easy to fix.

-philip