[iBook] OSX or not on clamshell G3 366

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at mac.com
Tue Mar 29 18:26:38 PST 2005

I have both OS9 and OSX on a 366 clamshell. Whenever I drop back to OS9
I am amazed at how fast the finder is and then how limiting. Networking
is so much easier under OSX. Crashes are non-existant. The readability
is light years better. Web browsers have improved so much in the last 2
years and the OS9 ones seem stuck in 1998. OSX itself is slower but the
applications are better.
I have used every version of OSX on this clamshell and the latest is
the best. Don't bother with 10.0 - pure frustration. 10.2 is the
minimum for reasonable speed( 10.3 is noticably faster yet ). Max the
ram.
One other note; when I upgraded to 10.3 my screen went crappy. The
color profile was all washed out and it would lose any changes on
reboot. This was fixed with one of the early updates so if it happens
to you just start loading the updates right away!
In short, yes, upgrade. But. You will be short on disk space, only use
the later versions, and add as much ram as it will hold.

Mike