[iBook] <OT> CompUSA

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Mon May 23 17:53:49 PDT 2005

This weekend, my husband and I decided to take the plunge and
purchase 2 iBook G4s.  Because our local Apple Store is not due to
open until the fall, we went to CompUSA.

I must say, our experience was very discouraging. We felt that we
were an inconvenience to them, and while we didn't expect them to
pamper us by any means, common courtesy would have been appreciated.
We wound up having to return to the store twice, once to get a copy
of Tiger that was not included as promised (took 33 minutes), and
once to exchange one of the iBooks (less than 4 hours after
purchasing it) because we found that there was an unresponsive
section of the trackpad (took 62 minutes).

Both times, they made us very aware that our concerns, which we felt
were very valid, were an inconvenience to them.  They actually went
so far as to tell us that all iBooks have a dead spot near the center
of the trackpad (not true, obviously), and that they would go to the
trouble of exchanging it once, but it wasn't going to do us any
good.  Of course, the replacement worked perfectly, as we would
expect a brand new Apple product to do.

My question is: is this they type of experience that others have had
at CompUSA?  We had a similarly difficult experience there when we
bought our iMac last year. If so, why on earth are they the Apple
authorized store?  It would seem that there are much better
alternatives. i would expect this level of customer service at a fast
food resturaunt or even a convenience store, but it seems out of line
when purchasing a computer.