[iBook] ibook display question

Tim AumAn twa101 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:36:41 PST 2005

All:

I purchased a used g3 iBook, 800mhz with combo drive.  About a month ago, I
started having problems with the screen. When I would open it past
perpendicular, the screen would go black. If you closed the lid & restarted
it, it would work again until you opened the screen too far.  Within about
a week, the range that the display would work decreased until it was
constantly black.

The computer works just fine when hooked up to an external dispay/TV. I
also just noticed a small thin blue & white wire slightly poking out of the
seam in the back of the laptop, behind the hinge portion. Just yestaeray, I
was sitting in a different lighting location while hooked up to an external
monitor and I noticed that you could just barely see the actual image on
the laptop display. but it was really, really dark.

Any thoughts?? I was thinking that it might be a loose or pinched wire
problem, given that the initial problems came about when moving/opening the
screen. Is this something that is fixable? Any ideas on costs, etc.? The
computer has more than enough speed & memory for what I need it for, and I
would be willing to put some money into it rather than buying a new one.

thanks

Tim