[iBook] wireless sharing

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Fri Sep 9 19:02:55 PDT 2005

Dear list,

I have a linux box, running Ubuntu, which is connected via 100Mb wired ethernet
to my ADSL/802.11G router/wireless hub (a Billion 8202G).

In Ubuntu, I've configured samba sharing for several partitions, and can mount
these on my iBook wired or wirelessly. I can surf the web (on my iBook)
wirelessly without dramas.

On the router, I've set up MAC-address filtering, and WPA encryption, which seem
to be working fine.

My problem, is that if I try and transfer a large file(s) wirelessly between my
computers, I lose my wireless network connection (between iBook and router) -
the signal disappears, and the wireless network is unreachable. This also
causes my internet connection to my iBook to drop out, and confuses Finder,
because the mounted samba shares are no longer there. The network seems to
recover, however...

This behaviour is puzzling, since it appears to work perfectly if I make a wired
connection between the iBook and the rest of the network.

I suppose a transient dropout could be causing these problems.. perhaps I should
try using NFS instead of samba? is it more robust?

Any other suggestions? Any advice appreciated..

Cheers,
-Angus