[iBook] reporting on accessorizing my ibook!

Jill Whenmouth jillwhenmouth at mac.com
Mon Sep 19 02:02:04 PDT 2005

The leather screen protector from Other World Computing arrived. .  Yes, it
is soft and yes, it would work.  But, I  agree with Tom: it is overpriced
($14.95) for what you get.   I suppose because it was so pricey I expected
more and found myself disappointed. Against my totally awesome new ibook's
pristine, shiny surface, the edges of this black leather piece were not cut
sharply enough to have a clean, sharp edge.  The black against the white
shows up the edges dramatically and thus the black leather look frayed,
worn, a tad shabby. (Perhaps this was just this particular one and others
are cut cleaner)  Also they'd put their OWC stamp into the leather on one
side, offset from the center.    I didn't want that.  I wanted something
sensuous and gorgeous.  This didn't do it.  (I returned it)  For now,  I'll
stick for now with the sheet of opaque plastic which Apple included in
shipping.

The other item I bought was a slipcover by Radtech.  This I am totally
pleased with.  It is made of a thicker version of the material used to clean
the screens.  It will keep my ibook safe from scratches when I slip in into
a backpack or purse.  And it looks very good... suede looking... a sort of
grey.  It feels good; it looks good: rich butquite simple.   It slips on
with just a tad of stretching needed.  It comes off with more effort, but
not really difficult.. it does take two hands though.  The bad side of that
is that you have to do it with two hands, though perhaps it will stretch
with use... the good side is that it won't fall off.   In the center is
printed IBook.. looks Very nice!  Total approval.

I notice that RadTech makes a screen protector in similar material... with a
choice of colors (the same grey suede above and blue, black, and something
called shagwire (looks leopard like to me).

Jill