[iBook] Re: A Black iBook

Dennis Reeder dreeder2 at columbus.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 05:33:20 PDT 2005

While a friend and I (well mostly him) installed a new optical drive
in my 14" G4 ibook I attempted to dye the ibook case a deep blackish
blue color.

I had read up on lacrosse players who had dyed their baskets and/or
sticks using Rit dye.

I attempted to do the same thing

The ibook bottom case and battery cover came out a deep dark green.
It looked like Italian marble.  Not what I wanted but it was kind of
interesting.  Unfortunately the color has faded quite a bit in the
ensuing 3 months.  Now it is a pale faint greenish color.  It's the
bottom so it's hardly noticeable until you turn it over.  Not sure
exactly why it is fading.  Ultra-violet?  Air?  The color is not
rubbing off it is just fading away.

I still think a black ibook would look pretty neat...and it would
remind me of my goregous Pismo.

I would attempt paint but have heard that it tends to chip off.
Early ibooks could have the white stripped off (it was applied on the
inside to a clear case) and then new paint sprayed on the inside.
The 2nd gen ibooks have white plastic so it's either dye (so far not
real successful) or paint (which chips).

If you've had success with colorizing your ibook I would like to hear
about it.  And no, I don't want to pay someone several hundred
dollars to do it for me.  Just not in my budget plus I like the idea
of DIY.