[iBook] iBook modem problems

David Brownstein dw861 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Mon Aug 21 14:31:37 PDT 2006

I recently bought a used iBook, a G3 700 MHz, running OS 10.4.6.

I have not been able to get the modem in this laptop to work.  At first I
thought that it was a problem with the modem but with a little
investigating, perhaps not.  I see that when more recent versions of OS X
came out many people had problems with their iBook modems, and there are
still some discussion forums out there describing these problems but none
appear to definitively solve the problem.

When I use the System Profiler to tell me what modem is installed in my
computer it takes a long time (ie 60 seconds plus) to finally come up with:
Modem Model:	MicroDash
  Interface Type:	USB
  Modulation:	V.92
  SKU Name:	UCJ
  Hardware Version:	1.0F
  Firmware Version:	APPLE VERSION 2.6.6
  Driver:	InternalUSBModem.kext (v2.6.6)
  Country:

While the profiler is churning away trying to come up with this into, the
Console logs some error messages.  These are:
kernel[0]: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort -- ERROR --
InternalUSBModem.kext did not load after 30 seconds
kernel[0]: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort: still no modem after
powering on the modem

Further, when I try to use the modem to connect to my ISP I get the
following errors:
pppd[291]: pppd 2.4.2 (Apple version 233-0-2) started by root, uid 501
kernel[0]: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort -- ERROR --
InternalUSBModem.kext did not load after 30 seconds
pppd[291]: Failed to open /dev/cu.modem: Resource busy
kernel[0]: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort: still no modem after
powering on the modem

I do not know what these mean, and will be ever so grateful for any help that
you can offer.  Thanks!
     David

Vancouver, British Columbia

www.brownstein.ca