[iBook] Video editing on an 2 year old iBook?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Fri Dec 8 12:30:09 PST 2006

> Thanks for that Larry - you might be interested in my reply to Charles.

Ah, I didn't get the sense that you'd done it before from your previous post.
But yeah, if you have a 1.2GHz iBook G4, it's plenty capable.

> Can iMovie do EDL's which could be used for onlining in, say, Avid?
> couldn't figure it out myself.

Short answer: no.
Long answer: maybe, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. The
iMovie project file is a text file that looks like this:

iMovie Project File

External Version: 4.0
Version: 0.9

VolumeMarkerVersion: 1
VideoStandard: NTSC
ProjectSelection: 0 -1 -1
PlayHead: 786
TimelineZoom: 2.196149
TimelineRelativePlayHeadPos: 0.463453
AudioTrackMute: 0 0 0
Clip: Clip 13
  File: Clip:13
  Frames: 433 In:0 Out:433 Thumb:17
  Timestamp: 116821384.000000
  RecordDate: -1117193134
Clip: Black
  Type: 5
  Frames: 19 In:0 Out:19 Thumb:0
  Timestamp: 116859024.675078
  RGBColor: 0 0 0
Clip: Clip 11
  File: Clip:11
  Frames: 416 In:0 Out:416 Thumb:17
  Timestamp: 116820560.000000
  RecordDate: -1117192939
Clip: Black
  Type: 5
  Frames: 443 In:0 Out:443 Thumb:0
  Timestamp: 116820512.000000
  RGBColor: 0 0 0
Shelf: Clip 01
  File: Clip:01
  Frames: 69 In:0 Out:69 Thumb:1
  ShelfXY: 0 0
  Timestamp: 116819184.000000

[etc...]

That might be enough info to create an EDL, especially if you're familiar with
scripting languages like awk or perl that basically live to reformat text files.

Good luck!

-- Larry