[iBook] no boot sometimes?

Don Hinkle donhinkle at mac.com
Fri Jun 2 06:48:01 PDT 2006

We have what I call the "Volleyball" iMac, G3, out of applecare,
which has been working fine except the internal HD died and had to be
replaced a couple months ago.

My wife just called me from her office, that when she went to turn it
on, the photo of her desktop appeared, but boot didn't happen, then
it blacked out. I had her hold in on/off button for a few minutes
until light on screen turned off, then it booted okay.

Later today I'm going to her office to run some diagnostics, maybe
Disk Warrior. Any other suggestions as to what could cause this
behavior and what steps to take (besides a thorough backup, which is
on the agenda)?

thanks,
-don

-donald henry hinkle