[iBook] iBook new HD and OS disks

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Wed Mar 1 19:29:35 PST 2006

At 6:45 PM -0500 3/1/06, vwmai wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've bought a G3/600 iBook from a friend. The machine has a bad hard
>drive. I've ordered a replacement and plan to put it in this
>weekend. The iBook isn't coming with any disks at all. I have the
>copy of 10.3 that I bought in  2004 bundled with iLife 04. When I
>got the bundle the OS X.3 disks were eMac disks. I did not have any
>trouble installing them on my G4 tower. Can I use the same OS disks
>for the iBook?

A weekend, yeah, that might be long enough.

There are about 60 screws to remove (and more or less the same number
to re-insert).  I found a set of take apart instructions, with
pictures, on the Internet.  Were I to do it again I would print out
such instructions and tape each screw in place on the picture.  You
go into it thinking "oh, that screw obviously goes there".  But after
taking everything apart and then part way putting it back together
it's more like "where the heck COULD this screw go????"

Each individual step isn't too complicated but there are just so many
things to be done.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA