[iBook] After the drive is in.

vwmai vwmail at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 5 11:06:16 PST 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Mark Kippert wrote:

> Chris, to be honest, your question is a bit complicated (confusing),
> but I
> think I get the gist...............

> Hope this helps.
> -Mark

Mark,

Thanks for you reply. I tore the iBook down on Saturday morning and
replaced the hard drive. Saturday afternoon I tore the iBook down again
and properly seated the ribbon cable so the HD would work :) Pulling
the machine apart was not too scary. I had the PB fixit tear down pages
handy and all the tools. I think the toughest part was getting the
power switch plug back into the logic board and that pesky screw on the
left side of the CD tray. Success is a matter of preparation, patience,
and to some extent a lack of fear. In the past I've replaced the
drives in a few of the old CRT iMacs, and replaced the LCD in an iBook
for a friend. The iBook that I now have was obtained through some
trading and the only real money I had in it was for the new HD and a
512K stick of ram. I already had the all important Airport 11b card
that is going for more than I got the IBook for. During tear-down I was
pleasantly surprised by seeing the dates on the HD and the combo drive
as July 2003.  I was under the impression that it was an G3/500 when I
made the deal for it.  As is turns out it's a G3/900. I couldn't be
more happy especially since the battery is at almost 4 hours.

Migrating the info from my G4 did not go as well. At first I foolishly
wasted time copying a CCC made disk image to the new drive. It was not
bootable. The second time I tried to back up the HD in as bootable but
it errored out at the last minute. I decided to cut my time losses and
install a retail copy of 10.3 that I had just to get the machine going.
  After carefully reading the documentation for CCC and Superduper I
will have another go at as soon as my power-supply arrives and I am off
battery power.

Thanks!
Chris