[iBook] Upgrading G3 iBook without Firewire Port

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sun Mar 12 09:08:01 PST 2006

It sounds like you did an install of 10.4 on the external HD
while it was attached to a G4 unit of some kind.  So is your
question whether a G3 iBook will run ok from an OSX install
originally done on a non-iBook, or from an OSX install
done on a G4 anything iBook or not, or both these questions?

> On Saturday, March 11, 2006, at 09:45  PM, Larry Blodgett wrote:
> > I am trying to update a iBook G3 to 10.4.  This is one of those G3
> > iBooks that has a failed firewire port.  I do have two USB 1 ports and
> > of course an ethernet connection.  The optical is CD only. So I can't
> > simply pop in the 10.4 DVD.  Here is the procedure I have followed.
> >
> > Made a clone of the entire harddisk using SilverKeeper to a USB
> > external harddrive. (took forever but worked fine)
> >
> > Connected the external harddrive to my G4 using Firewrire and updated
> > the external drive.
> >
> > After I did this everything looks fine and the upgrade looks fine on
> > the G4. (boots and looks fine)
> >
> > Now I need to copy the external partition back to the internal drive
> > of the G3 iBook.
 . . .