[iBook] Upgrading G3 iBook without Firewire Port

Larry Blodgett lblodgett at mac.com
Mon Mar 13 06:01:35 PST 2006

See my response embeded.

On Mar 12, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> It sounds like you did an install of 10.4 on the external HD
> while it was attached to a G4 unit of some kind.  So is your
> question whether a G3 iBook will run ok from an OSX install
> originally done on a non-iBook, or from an OSX install
> done on a G4 anything iBook or not, or both these questions?

The hardware difference was not the question.

Since, sending this I have completed the process.

I discovered that I can boot off the 10.3 install cd.
I can erase the old internal drive. The drive is then TOTALLY Clean.
At that point, DiskUtility WILL NOT allow a RESTORE to the empty
drive?????
I had to do a minimum install of a 10.3 system on the internal drive.
I could then do a RESTORE from the external USB copy which would
ERASE the internal drive.
The final restore worked fine.
They overall process was successful with a few bumps along the way.