[iBook] Stuck in Darwin....

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Thu Mar 16 16:21:48 PST 2006

Yuck!

Don't be embarrased - If I listed all the stupid things I've done to break my
computer, I'd be flooding the list. Doing something to break a system is a good
way to learn! ;-) Having said that - leave the system folder alone, unless you
really know what you're doing (that's for the benefit of the list, Matt - I'm
sure you've learnt your lesson! ;-)

"bounces into the bash shell for
> Darwin to ask me to log in"

does that mean it's a regular multi-user login? In that case, why did you go to
single-user mode? was a lack of user permissions the reason?

I guess the most obvious thing to check is that you've copied the fonts back
properly. check that they're there, as they should be, and if so check the
permissions of those fonts.

>> cd /System/Library/Fonts/
>> ls -l

you should see lists like this

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   3377326 Mar 21  2005 LastResort.dfont

if the pattern of letters on the left is different, that means your permissions
are set incorrectly. If that's the case, you might not have read access to the
fonts, which would make OSX unhappy! ;-)

If that's the case, we'll deal with it (easy! ;-), but let's take it a step at a
time..

Hang in there!
-Angus

Quoting ibooklist2 at matthurst.fastmail.fm: