[iBook] Re: iBook Digest, Vol 21, Issue 3

Raymond P Reedy popreedy at comcast.net
Mon May 8 16:47:53 PDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 16:44 , Miche Doherty <miche at beeb.net> wrote:

> That username seems to be reserved, for some reason, at least as
> far as
> the short name is concerned. I have an account on my machine (running
> 10.3.9) with the name "Guest" and the short name "guestuser". (Yeah,
> the short name doesn't *have* to be shorter...)

>> I have an iBook (700Mhz G3).  I am unable to create an account with
>> the name Guest. I get a message in red that reads, "Name is not
>> available."

I type Guest into the Name field and OS suggests guest1 as a Short
Name. I click on Create Account. That is when I get the "Name is not
available" message.

I create the Guest user with no problem on my iMac. Curious...

Maybe there is a file hidden somewhere that needs to be deleted...???

Raymond P Reedy
popreedy at comcast.net